-Ma, I want to tell you something?
- Today in the school something happened.
- Anything serious, Mimi?
- I just do not know. But it's kind of unsettling.
-Whatttt? You do not know? What is it? Did the geography Miss say anything again?
This time the "whatt" was much louder and it almost scared the hell out me, as I was already very nervous since the time that incident happened in the school.
- No, nothing of that type. It is kind of scary.
- Then what is it? What happened to you then? Please.
Mother was seriously anxious to know the matter. A bit impatient too. Her eyebrows drew closer. Furrows widening on the forehead.
- When I was in the restroom today in the school, I saw a few blobs of red ....
The furrow on her forehead released and slowly converted into soft grin on her face. The conversation in fact did not end there. It went far longer till I felt reasonably comfortable to reconcile myself with the new found girlhood.
The above conversation took place between me and Ma around two decades back. That was also the day when she told me about the word called "menarche" which I should never forget due to its uncommon pronunciation.
Today is such a day for my niece.